Just in time for summer these jalapeño poppers make a great appetizer for your next barbecue/ dinner party/ game night. Remember to always source local ingredients from the farmers market whenever possible.
· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1 pound chorizo sausage
· 1 cup chopped sweet onions
· 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or himalayan, or sea salt)
· 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
· 2 teaspoons minced garlic
· 6 ounces goat cheese
· 12 large jalepeño peppers
· Another 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
· 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
· 1 cup bread crumbs
· 7 ounces (or more) Salsa Verde Tomatillo White Chocolate Sauce
1. Heat oven ot 375°F
2. Place large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Add chorizo, onions, 2 teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to pan. Cook 10 minutes or until brown and onions soften, breaking up chorizo with spatula.
3. Add garlic to pan. Simmer over medium heat 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes. Stir in goat cheese until combined and set aside.
4. Cut off top 1/3 of each pepper lengthwise leaving stem intact. Scoop out seeds. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and drizzle with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil to keep peppers from sticking.
5. Stuff each pepper with chorizo filling and place on baking sheet.
6. Top each filled pepper with 2 teaspoons shredded cheese and 2 teaspoons breadcrumbs. Drizzle top of each pepper with remains 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and place in oven 20 minutes or until golden crust has formed.
7. Remove from oven. Sprinkle peppers with pinch of kosher salt while peppers are still hot. Allow peppers to cool 5 minutes. Place peppers on serving platter, drizzle each pepper with Brenham Kitchens Salsa Verde Tomatillo White Chocolate Sauce and enjoy!